Wednesday, January 23, 2008

playwright page

Hi,
I've been writing for theatre for some 10 years having taken up the scribe after a serious illness that rendered it impossible for me to continue my part time gigging music career (I use 'career' here in it's broadest sense). I work in the field of commercial theatre and host 2 publishing sites - www.leglessproductions.co.uk and www.oneactplays.org.uk aimed at giving new writers an outlet for their work.
Recent successes - "Over the Rainbow - The Eva Cassidy Story" about to start it's 6th national and European tour (opening Hull New Theatre 30th Jan. 08) and "The Billie Holiday Story" co-written with my friend Len Holden, two national and Europe tours in 2007. Fingers crossed new musical coming out (planned for West End) October 08 and a comedy to tour Feb 09.
I'm interested in getting discussion, hints, swapping ideas, possible collaborative offers, tips, moans and groans, making links and hearing from others who struggle in this artistic format.

First provocative question - is the title 'producer' a euphemism for Arthur Daley? Come on now gimmee, gimmee, gimmee!!

Second provocative question - funded theatre is full of arty up your backside types? Ooops I sense raised hackles at this!!
Come on now make this blog "the must post it site"......I'm waiting.

1 comment:

Parksy said...

You know what, I don't think that funded theatre types are up their own backsides, I just think they're totally ignorant fuckers that put aside, unread works by people who are not from their university, social gathering, or whatever. They say that class is dead, not in the thespian world it aint believe me. The utter garbage I've watched in funded theatres by Tarquin Trump, from Cambridge campus and Horatio Blumenshagger from Kings makes me absuloutely frigging hurl, (a word for throw up you posh twats,) Show me a play by a man or woman that has come from the council estates, i.e the real people that know what real life is all about. Then I'll be convinced that those shitty money grabbing jumped up jobs for the boys and girls are fundamentally out to find the best writers and the best theatre, or to make it simple, name me one you chinless pissing it up the wall parasites.
Now that might get the heckles up, wouldn't get the hecklers up, you've got to be a tad clever to heckle decently, to which I'll sign off.